In this role you will be accountable for all aspects of the leadership, development, direction and delivery of service in relation to Adult Services including joint working and inter-agency co-operation. The posts promotes the achievement of high standards of performance against national, corporate and service specific performance measures.
As an innovative and reflective leader you will be able to demonstrate:
- a strong value base that informs your work with adults
- a relentless commitment to quality - and to be able to talk about what good practice 'looks like'
- a capacity for honest reflection and openness to learning;
- Ability to establish professional, effective working relationships with a range of partners/colleagues, adults, families and their carers
The Head of Service promotes and embeds the vision, principles and processes of the Adult Quality Assurance Framework in relation to adult operational staff. The Head of Service for Adults supports the strategy of the Swindon Safeguarding Partnership and Community Safety in line with legislation and guidance as directed by the Safeguarding Executive. The post promotes the achievement of high quality, effective and efficient services for Swindon Borough Council (SBC) through scrutinising and managing performance to drive continuous improvements.
- You will ensure that your service areas are delivering safe and effective services as described within relevant statutory duties. The aim is the delivery of a high quality, effective and efficient services for Swindon residents, delivered within the required outcomes of the Council’s plan.
- You will represent your service areas at the Quality and Assurance Board, preparing and presenting detailed performance reports that ensure the voice if the person using our service is heard and valued. Learning from Quality Assurance, complaints and Safeguarding Adult Reviews, inform your effective service improvement plans.
- You will lead on several continuous improvement deliverables across the service, and ensure delivery of agreed savings and cost reduction plans.
- You will influence and interact at senior level both internally and externally building relationships with elected members, other council departments, and external agencies to champion and actively promote the DHSC & CQC Assurance, Swindon Safeguarding and Community Safety agendas.
- You will provide specialist advice and input to the development and delivery of policy, strategy, and inspection activity, working with other specialist areas to ensure a corporate and collaborative approach.
- You be a key member of Partnership Strategic Leadership Teams and Council Strategic Leadership Teams and contribute to Partnership wide and Council wide events, Meetings, Staff Briefings and other forum as identified.
- You will work with the Senior Leadership Team to support the preparation and delivery of briefings and presentations for Members, the Director of Adult Services and the Corporate Director Adult Services, Health & Housing (DASS).
- You will solve problems and manage complex strategy development, taking the most complex decisions, applying greatest discretion and judgement in relation to the policy guidelines.
- You will ensure effective stakeholder management, developing, managing and supporting external partnerships/relations, and working with key internal stakeholders to ensure a responsive and proactive delivery of the service that delivers the Council’s outcomes and meets the needs of the people we serve.
- You will complete and respond to Members Hotline Enquiries, FOI’s and Complaints within agreed Service Level agreements.
- You will participate in the Adult Service out of Hours on Call rota.
Knowledge & Experience
- Experience of working at a senior level in a political environment to provide assurance and effect change
- Strategic experience of leading and managing complex projects and programmes to improve and transform services
- Excellent influencing and negotiating skills to secure collective responsibility both internally and across the partnership to develop efficient, effective and impactful services
- Ability to challenge partners and stakeholders critically and constructively, using influence and negotiation to build joint solutions and drive change
- Extensive experience of working within Adults Social Care services
- Knowledge of relevant legislation, and associated regulations and guidance across Adult services
- Experience of writing and large and complex commissioning plans and strategies
- Experience of delivering presentations along with being skilled at presenting complex issues in to a range of different audiences
- Knowledge of equalities legislation and inequality issues in Adult services
- Research experience
- Experience of developing and using quality assurance systems and processes for monitoring and evaluation
- Experience of facilitating co-production and capturing lived experience within quality and performance feedback
- Degree Level Qualification
- Post Graduate qualification in leadership (essential)
- Registered Practitioner, HCPC, SW England (preferred)